Dear Families,

Your child is gently encouraged to wear a hat and apply sunscreen on days that we experience lots of sun and heat as he or she is outside daily for two 20 minute fitness breaks (40 minutes).  On nicer days, we will be taking advantage of being outside and enjoy outdoor learning!  Thank you for your support in this matter.  

I also wanted to say a thank you to the parents who regularly check and sign their child's agenda.  It is an excellent communication tool between parent, child, and teacher.  I have been enjoying your notes!  As we soon enter our final month of school (June), I am delighted with my students progress and look forward to more fun in the sun!  Thank you for your continued support in ALL your child's learning!  


T.E.A.M:  "TOGETHER, EVERYBODY ACHIEVES MORE!"

Beach Day:
Thank you to ALL the staff and students who participated in our spirit day!  Everyone looked beachy-reffic!


Thank you Nate for the beautiful flowers!! You filled my bucket!
Character Recognition Assembly:
Today, we celebrated May's character trait which is Respect.  Congratulations to Sienna and Abby!  Thank you for always striving to demonstrate respectful behaviour towards your peers, teachers, and family.  We’ve learned, in order to get respect, we have to give it!  Way to go girls :) 


The Golden Rule:  “Treat people the way you want to be treated!”

Next month's character trait is Responsibility – “We do the right thing even when NO ONE IS WATCHING!”  

This week, I had a discussion with my students about the importance of always being accountable for our thoughts, words, and actions.  We must all take responsibility for this as it is vital to ensure the safety and happiness for ourselves and others.


Language Learning:
As shared in a previous post, over the next few weeks, I will be teaching my students about Poetry in preparation for our Poetry Cafe.  Yes of course, you are ALL INVITED, invitations to follow :) Stay tuned!!  Your child is excited to write poems and share them with you!  Thus far, we've written 2 poems.  Please ask your child about his or her creations over the weekend.  HINT:  "I Am" and "Inside My Heart Lives"    

For 
this unit of study, our Learning Goal & Success Criteria is the following:

Learning Goal:
We are learning to read, listen to, and write our own poetry using descriptive words to help our reader visualize and create a deeper meaning from our writing.

Success Criteria:
1. I can choose a topic for my poem that is meaningful to me.
2. I can use rich, descriptive (adjectives) word choice when I write.
3. I can include voice and expression in my writing.
4. I can help my reader create mental imagery (visualize) as they read my poem.
5. I can think with my head and heart to create a meaningful poem.


POETRY IS ... "Powerful Thoughts in Tiny Packages!"

Have your child visit the link below to continue learning about the different types of poetry we will be exploring!
http://mrswarnerarlington.weebly.com/poetry.html

Simcoe County Museum:
We had such a meaningful field trip on Tuesday!  Students in grade 3 learned all about Pioneer (Early Settlers) life.  The kids got to dress up (check out the pics), play pioneer games, learn about how to make butter, a nail, candles, being in a pioneer school with a strict teacher (I was even a little nervous), and so much more!  We had a wonderful day together!  

The staff at the museum was really impressed with our students' behaviour saying "Wow, this has been the best behaved group of students we've ever had!"  This warms my heart as I too believe Nottawa is filled with the VERY BEST!  Way to go boys and girls, you've represented the Nighthawk family with pride!

Thank you to Mrs. Jackson (Nate's mom), Mr. Jones (Carson's dad), and Mrs. Aldred (Paige's mom) for volunteering their time to spend the day with us and to help ensure all kids were safe and accounted for.  I appreciate your efforts and I know your kids loved having you there with them!
























Gym:
In gym, I have introduced a unit on badminton.  It is a challenging sport but it helps develop children's hand-eye coordination.  We have been working on our accuracy and ensuring we hit the birdie in the middle of the racket.  Congratulations to Bryce (singles winner) and Rachael and Sienna (doubles winners) for keeping up the birdie for the longest number of repetitions!  Next gym class, we will be playing a real game and see how our skills have developed! They love it!







   
EQAO:
We will be beginning our testing on Monday morning.  Students will work from periods 1 to 4 with break times slotted as per the regular schedule :)  During periods 5 and 6, I will be taking the kids outside for outdoor D.P.A. and FUN, so please ensure they wear sunscreen, bring a hat, and dress accordingly.  Thank you!
Résultats de recherche d'images pour « eqao images »
Reminder:
Have you bought your wristband online?!  Fun Fair is next week on Thursday May 31st from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.  Our Parent Council has worked so hard preparing for this event!  Come on out to show your support and you won't want to miss out on this amazing opportunity to spend it with your children!!  It's sure to be a terrific time!
Résultats de recherche d'images pour « fun fair »

Mindfulness:


Growth Mindset:

"Be cool and calm everyday and think of happy times!"  - Grace


Namaste,
Miss Gill


Comments

Popular posts from this blog