Dear Families,

Here I am writing my final blog update for our 2017/2018 school year.  It is with mixed emotions that I share this post.  I am happy to have completed this year seeing all my students diligently grow academically, socially, and behaviourally.  But, I am truly sad that our time together in our learning community has come to an end.  I will miss each student as they have in their own way brightened my heart with their smiles, enthusiasm, and respect.  Each day, I was greeted with warmth and positive energy.  I truly am the blessed one!  



I would like to thank each of you (parents) for all that you have done this school year to continually support your child in each and every thing that they participated in (E.g., paying for numerous field trips, the many parent volunteers giving their time on field trips/Fun Fair, home reading, word study homework, extra math practice homework, spirit days, Poetry Cafe, and the list goes on).  As a teacher, I can honestly say, I could not have done it without you!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart! 

I want to take this final opportunity to wish you all a happy and safe summer holiday!  Enjoy and seize every moment you can with your dear child!  I will miss them greatly!!!  Take care and keep smiling J See you in September everyone!


Poetry Cafe:
I don’t know about you, but I’m still beaming with pride and joy for my student’s outstanding performance at our Poetry Café!  I received many heart-warming remarks from parents, students, and staff about the wonderful presentation!  It was a true reflection of how brilliant the hearts and minds are of my students!  Thank you families for being part of this celebration and providing the nutritious and delicious treats!  I will always remember this experience fondly as I reflect upon our year together.























Report Cards:
This week, students received their report cards and as always, I like to reinforce that for me, it is not solely about the ‘marks’ or ‘level’s,’ but an emphasis on celebrating students’ strengths and next steps.  We all have areas which we excel in and things we need to continue to work towards.  I am proud to say that each student this year displayed their personal best and it has reflected in their growing character.  Many of you know how important character and values are to me as I believe this is what will take you further in life …always be respectful, KIND, and supportive to others!  It takes patience and practice, but if we all continue to work towards this, we will lead a happy and healthy life for all to enjoy! 

On the front of the report card envelope, I had students write down a meaningful growth mindset.  They came up with these all on their own!  There was a big emphasis on mindset throughout the year, and I thank everyone who contributed to this.  Remember, we must put these THOUGHTS, into our WORDS, and display them in our ACTIONS!!


Talent Show:
Congratulations to ALL the talent show performers!  I was in awe of the many talents shown!  Nottawa is filled with amazing students – wow!  In particular, I would like to extend a HUGE congrats to the participants from our class, namely Aurora, Rachael, Sydney, Paige, Abby, Grace, and Heather.  You girls did an outstanding job and displayed your extraordinary skills in singing and dancing!  It takes a lot of courage to get up in front of the whole school.  You did it with such grace and gentle confidence.  You made our class family so proud!!  Way to go girls J










Graduates:
Congratulations to all our Grade 8 graduates!  I had the pleasure of coaching some of the girls in intermediate basketball.  It was a fantastic season as we made it to the semifinals in the area tournament!  I’m so proud of Penny B., Lauren W., Avery P., Chloe C., and Lexi.!  A fabulous group of girls who not only display exceptional basketball skills, but also have tremendous character off the court.  Good luck in your high school endeavours!  

I attended the graduation ceremony Tuesday evening and it was amazing to see everyone “dressed to the nines!”  Our 8’s looked so beautiful!  As I sat admiring everyone, I couldn’t help but think about my students (your child) getting up on stage for their graduation when it comes up!  I can’t wait!  I know, I know, we still have a few years left don’t we J haha.  It will be a precious moment and one I’m very much looking forward to!  It’s been an amazing year watching each learner grow to their full potential!  They are truly ready for the next grade level J  

Primary Play Day:
Although the weather was rainy, never fear Mrs. Shaw's kids are here!  A big thank you to the grade 5 students and our dear Mrs. Shaw who organized and facilitated the events for primary play day!  We were able to do many fun and engaging activities indoors such as the memory game, camouflage, JUST DANCE, an obstacle course and so much more!  The kids got to enjoy a popsicle at the rest station (thank you Mrs. McT for providing these for our kids) and we were all smiles.  Check us out!












Medieval Times Project:
Great job grade 4's on your shields you made for your medieval times project and learning.  A big thank you to Mr. Plater for inviting my students into his classroom to work on these.  They turned out amazing!!




Carson:
Even in our final week of school, Carson connected our science learning about growth & changes in plants to a home task.  He and his family worked hard last weekend on a vegetable garden :)  Mmm, I love veggies - nutritious and DELICIOUS!  Thank you for continously making meaningful connections from home to school!  We wish you all the best as your move forward in your education at Mountain View Public School!  They are sooo lucky to have you.  Remember, we are always here for you!  Once a Nighthawk, ALWAYS A NIGHTHAWK!!  


Nate:
Thank you to Nate and his family for providing our class with such a creative summer holiday treat! Check out the cupcakes!!!  Mmm, we LOVED every single bite :-)  Nate and his familly have been so generous throughout the school year - thank you, THANK YOU!!  When I gave Jackson his, he said to me, "Miss Gill, I don't want to eat mine because then I'll wreck the beach scene on it."  How adorable is that!?  He did eventually eat it ;) haha!




Teacher Gifts:
To all my families, thank you for taking the time, energy, thought, and love to give me a year-end gift.  I am so moved by your generosity and caring hearts!  I will cherish them all, and please know, I will always fondly remember your support.  It has meant the world to me!  My connections with my students' parents/guardians is something I truly value.  I could not have made the progress in your child's academic, social, and behavioural learning if I didn't have you every step of the way - thank you, thank you!!  I'll definitely make good use of all my gifts over the summer break - YAHOO!






Aurora, Heather, & Zach N.:
Thank you girls and Zach for bringing in some special treats for our class party!!  I know everyone enjoyed these as we celebrated being a class family this year.  Yummy, yummy in OUR tummies :)


Growth Mindset:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mindfulness:
I've shared on many occasions with my class, the importance of demonstrating our best selves in all situations.  For it is how we think, act, and feel that will most impact not only us, but also those around us.  We must always put forth our personal best and lead with integrity.  I know many students in this class have taken this on, and will continue being not only good students, but tremendous citizens as they move forward to contribute to society.  I will always be here for your child, and if I can help in any way big or small, please be in touch!  I truly love and adore them!




Namaste, 
Miss Gill





Comments

Popular posts from this blog